Once again, I’m linking up for the Friday Five hosted by Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia, for this week’s topic. We’re a couple weeks away from Summer Solstice, simultaneously the best day ever and also the beginning of the end of all things beautiful as the days get shorter. Life is cruel. But Friday Five is fun. Make sure if you have some thoughts of your own on this week’s topic, This Summer I Will ____, and want to do a blog post on it yourself, you head over to Courtney’s post to link up and read what others are saying!
- The obvious one is train for my first marathon!! Cross train twice a week, build up from a 15 mile week to a peak week of 40 miles, including a few races to motivate me to get those long runs in, and take care of my body to keep it in the best shape it can be for when I head to that Marine Corps Marathon start line!
- Finish my Master’s degree! I am 3 1/2 weeks down, 9 1/2 to go on my final semester of earning my MA in Communication and that is to say, so close, yet so far. There is a ton of work to be done before I can breathe easy, and it’s like a little elf breathing heavily over my shoulder constantly whispering “you should be reading. Will you get it all done? You shouldn’t be having any fun,” but I know the feeling of turning in my last assignment and saying peace out to academia will be the best feeling ever. Followed by…
- GOING TO DISNEYLAND! I’m running the 2014 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare Challenge! I cannot wait to meet up with Carlee, George, and other #runchat buds that are all doing Dumbo with me. In the mean time I have to figure out what I’m going to wear! I’m so anxious for them to release the artwork for the medals, and I’m thinking of maybe doing Queen of Hearts for the 10K and Alice for the Half Marathon. Not really feeling the princess thing this time around. 😉 But who knows? I might go as Buzz Lightyear for the 10K and Jessie the Cowgirl for the Half. ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN.
- Go to the beach at least once. This is a priority. I just ain’t been right since it’s been too long since I’ve laid out at the beach and jumped in the ocean and rode some waves. Coney Island after the Brooklyn Half was a delicious little taste, but I can’t wait for it to be warm enough for me to get out there and swim around in it!
- Cook more. I’m moving in a week and that means I need to watch my money more. Not only that, but with marathon training, I need to not be eating junk food like I have been. I need to drink more water, get up earlier in time to actually make and eat a healthy breakfast instead of stopping at 7-11 every morning, remember to pack a lunch, cook dinner at night and bring the leftovers for lunch to work. I need to not be so emotionally attached to junk food and just eat to not be hungry, not eat to solve any other of my problems. Plus, like I said, it’s just a waste of money to get takeout all the time.
So there you have it! Those are my goals. I have specific monthly goals but I won’t bore you with those, as they’re kind of what I’m always working on – currently I’m at 50 crunches a day and a 1 minute 15 second plank a day, working my way up a little higher each month. Trying to go to yoga and Body Pump regularly, get a speed workout in every once in a while. Try to become a morning runner. The usual year round goals.
This summer could be monumental for me, or I could fail both my grad school classes and manage to get kicked out of the program when I was thisclose to finishing. Who knows. We’ll see.
But I have faith.